Black garlic is a traditional delicacy. It is one of the normal delicacies made of garlic, not a rotten food. It has been used in medicine in some regions. This is also inseparable from the nutritional value of black garlic itself. The fermentation process of garlic is called the Merad reaction. It is the product of the fermentation of ordinary garlic at a specific temperature and humidity. It is sweeter than regular garlic. We can use it to make garlic bread, garlic pasta, etc.
What is black garlic?
Black garlic is produced using a method close to caramelization. Unlike the fermentation of everyday foods, the process of fermentation uses microorganisms such as bacteria to react. Black garlic is a process of rapid aging in a special environment and temperature. Typically, garlic is heated at high humidity between 140° and 190° F. After 30 days. The garlic appears to soften and turn black. Cover the garlic to absorb moisture and stop the cloves from drying outwhat is black garlic
Health Benefits of Black Garlic
Regulates blood sugar
Black garlic extract has been shown to lower cholesterol and regulate blood sugar in experiments with mice. The antioxidants in black garlic are also beneficial in reducing complications caused by high blood sugar.
High antioxidant content
We all know that antioxidants have a good preventive effect against cancer and some inflammatory diseases. One of the advantages of regular garlic is its high antioxidant content, which can protect our heart and lower cholesterol and blood lipids. Black garlic produces 2-3 times more antioxidants during fermentation than regular garlic. Thus, black garlic has the same protective effect. Its antioxidant properties are not only good for the heart but also good for fighting cancer and reducing cellular carcinogenesis. This is mainly through the compounds in black garlic blocking free radicals in the body, reducing the spread of cancer cells.
Protects brain health
Black garlic helps prevent Alzheimer’s disease and can help soften the blood vessels in the heart and brain. Black garlic can also help improve memory.
Protects the liver
The antioxidants in black garlic can lower ALT and AST, effectively reducing liver damage caused by chemicals, drugs, etc.
High nutritional value
Compared to regular garlic, black garlic contains a small amount of allicin. Nevertheless, it contains a lot of antioxidants, phytonutrients, and amino acids. Meanwhile, black garlic contains vitamin C, B, folic acid, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, iron, and zinc. And it is low in calories and has zero fat. We don’t have to worry about burdening our bodies when we eat them.
Varieties of black garlic
When we buy them, we can distinguish the quality of black garlic by the presence or absence of cracks on the surface. Whole black garlic comes in two varieties: multi-clove garlic and single clove garlic. Multi-clove garlic is the fermented garlic that we commonly see every day. Single clove garlic is made by fermenting a single clove of garlic.
How to make your black garlic
You can make your black garlic home when you don’t want to buy it. There are several ways to make it, and you can choose the one that suits you according to the available tools.
To use a dehydrator to create black garlic.
- Wrap the garlic head in multiple layers of tinfoil after wrapping it in plastic.
- To absorb moisture and stop the cloves from drying out, cover the garlic.
- Insert the packet into the dryer.
- A 130-degree Fahrenheit setting is recommended.
- Wait 3-5 weeks for the intended darkening and softening (you can extend the waiting time to suit your preferred flavor)
Using a slow cooker or rice cooker
- Wrap each garlic in aluminum foil
- Place garlic in a slow cooker set to low heat
- Set to 140 degrees F and cover the pot with a lid
- Smother garlic for 3-5 weeks (same requirements as above)
To make black garlic in the Instant Pot
- Wrap whole fresh garlic in plastic wrap
- Then wrap the garlic in tin foil
- Place a rack in the Instant Pot and lift the garlic from the bottom of the container
- Seal the lid.
- set “warm.”
- Leave in the Instant Pot for 3-5 weeks
How to store the finished black garlic
The whole can store unpeeled black garlic at room temperature in the package. Once the box is opened, it should keep in the refrigerator until its shelf life or use-by date. You can usually store garlic in the fridge for up to one month. Should store peeled whole or diced garlic cloves and minced garlic in an airtight container or glass jar. If cracked black garlic appears during preparation, it should be consumed as soon as possible to avoid spoilage.
What does black garlic taste like?
There is no uniform answer to this question. I find the taste of black to be more difficult to accept. It has a little bit of slight sweetness and a kind of honey spice. In short, this taste is still rather strange. So many people could find it difficult to appreciate his taste. Those who like to eat black garlic find it soft, sticky, and delicious. We have to taste it ourselves before we can conclude.
What can be made of black garlic
Just like fresh garlic, black garlic can be eaten raw or cooked. If you buy whole black garlic, you must peel the cloves before using them. But this is much easier than peeling fresh garlic. Peeled garlic can be chopped or mashed and added to any new garlic recipe.
Here are some ways to use black garlic.
- Grilling: roasting garlic heads with meat and vegetables is very tasty
- Stews and casseroles: Mix garlic with stews, soups, or risotto to add a slightly sweet, fresh flavor.
- Stir-fries: stir-fry in your home or sprinkle a little into a ramen dish.
- Topping for main dishes: you can sprinkle chopped garlic or pour black garlic sauce over grilled fish or meat.
- Ice cream: Some chefs use peeled garlic to make black garlic ice cream.
- Pizza: use it with pizza and large pies
Next, a separate Chinese dish made with it is presented to you.
Black garlic pork ribs soup
Ingredients: black garlic 5, ribs half a catty, two sticks of celery, salt
- Cut the ribs into pieces, the right size, and wash;
- Put cool water in the pot, and pour ribs in
- boil over high heat. The water will float above a layer of white and red foam, clean off the white foam
- Then put in the black garlic. Note that the black garlic with skin
- Cover with high heat, continue to cook, and then boil to medium-low heat for about five minutes. In the small fire, stew for about 15 minutes
- Sprinkle some celery leaves or parsley on top
- Finally, add salt, so that the gourmet food is finished